Gwendoline turned 13 months old yesterday, and today she threw her first public tantrum. She's had meltdowns in public before if she's been hungry or overtired, but this was a true tantrum. In Sally Beauty Supply. I needed one little thing, and since leaving your child in the car is frowned upon these days, I decided we could run in without the stroller. Big mistake. Gwendoline can walk proficiently now, so I thought she'd just hold my hand and go where I led her. I was incorrect. She immediately ran for the perm rollers and started scattering them- dozens of them- across the floor. Of course I told her NO and removed her from the roller shelves. She apparently didn't like this and proceeded to throw herself on the floor and wail as if I'd just broken her favorite toy, crocodile tears and all. I started picking up the rollers, content with her crying on the floor because that's better than her destroying anything else. Plus, I'm not going to give into a tantrum. But the next thing I knew she disappeared behind the counter where there were two employees working the cash registers and about four people in line. Just as Gwendoline was reaching into the trash can behind the counter, I scooped her up, apologized to everyone in sight, and ran for the car.
This is going to be fun.

No comments:
Post a Comment