I've been confronted with a new reality this week: Moms don't get to call in sick. No sick days, no half days, no "I'm just going to shut my office door and lay my head on my desk" days. I've had a terrible cold since Saturday. Thankfully, Gwendoline isn't showing any signs of being sick so I really hope she doesn't catch this cold from me. On the bright side, I have a terrific husband and parenting partner who has been helping out as much as he possibly can (and keeping Gwendoline away from my germs as much as possible). Jeph worked from home for half a day on Monday to help out and let me get some much needed rest. He and Gwendoline are so cute together; I know they both had a great day! But around Gwendoline's 7pm bedtime, Jeph said he realizes why I like to climb into bed every evening around that time, too. That girl is a handful, even when you're well!
Hopefully our days of being shut in the house are coming to an end as I'm starting to feel better as the week progresses. We've sorely missed our friends this week: strolling around NorthPark with Christie and Gracie, visiting Nanny in Coppell, our new mom support group at Baylor, and our first outing to the library for story time with the Frisco mommy/baby group we just joined.
Also this week, Gwendoline has started something new. I'm calling it "distracted baby syndrome." She has discovered that there is just too much world out there that can be missed while she's eating. So instead of continuously eating until she's full, she'll eat a little bit then smile at me for three minutes; eat a little more then smile at the dog for five minutes; eat a little more and baby talk to whoever will listen for four minutes. Mealtimes, which are still about every three hours, are starting to take a really long time... But at least she's happy when she's distracted. Though I worry that she's not eating enough because of all the distractions, common sense (and other people I trust) tell me she would not be a happy camper if she were hungry. So I'm going with it and enjoying these sweet times when all she wants to do is "talk" to and smile at her mommy.
Another recent first is sleeping through the night! Last week, Gwendoline slept through four out of five nights. It was lovely! But since then, she has decided that she still wants to see us at nighttime, so we're back to two night wakings and feedings. Hopefully she'll realize that mom and dad aren't all that interesting and are a little grumpy at night and start sleeping through again.
 |
| Awesome dad working from home when mom is sick |
 |
| Dad attempts to load the car |
 |
| Happy girl in her duckies |
 |
| A typical Gwen sequence of events: happy... HAPPY... HAPPY!! crash |
No comments:
Post a Comment